Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Power of a Good Meal


Saturday night, Matt (my husband) and I again noticed the sweet gift card to a variety of restaurants we'd gotten during our engagement. Having been married for a few months now, we still hadn't taken advantage of it yet. So we decided what the heck, why not, let's go and go NOW. So we hopped on the metro and headed to Maggiano's. It was incredibly crowded, but it didn't take as long to be seated as they made it sound like it would. We'd sort of had a long weekend - not for productivity's sake, but just needing to relax with a lot going on. It was nice to get the table sooner than expected!

We were seated at a semi-circle booth, and literally everyone else in our division of the restaurant (outside of one or two couples) were under the age of 18. I guess there was some sort of prom or formal or something. It was funny to see the girls giggling and guys trying to play it cool... remembering when I was in high school and attending formals... I even went on a date to Maggiano's before one! It's so neat to look back and remember being interested in different guys and wondering who I'd marry--not knowing that I had already met my charming husband when I was fifteen, one summer in France. Oh, sweet memories.

Despite the music, many voices, and dimmed lights, it was as if Matt and I were there alone. Everything else faded away. We had fried calamari, garlic bread, and gnocchi. It was all delicious - even though we did make note later that we had managed to get an all-starch meal! And a nice treat to go out and not feel badly for spending a lot of money.

We ended up talking a lot about theology and recent events in the Episcopal church as well as not so recent. This has been a common theme for us for some time now, but it was just so wonderful to have no time limit, no agenda, nobody else to worry about -- just us, together, sharing.

It really made me feel wonderful - content with my life and with the world, to just enjoy each other and step back from the busy-ness, the worries, the stresses and concerns. It's amazing what just one dinner can do for you! Even if it IS all starches... :)


OH! And congratulations to Jen & Karl who are celebrating one year of being married, and to Eve & Curtis who celebrated their dating anniversary of 5 years!

No comments: