Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Bit O' Wisdom Fer Ye

I had to write this down (and make it public) because I thought this was so insightful. Amidst a discussion on the part of the staff about people hiding behind facades, Alex said something that I found really striking, alluding to the fact that a facade is merely the effort to present something which is foreseen as better than reality, and often leads down a very negative path. God created us as we are, to be ourselves - and being ourselves will turn out much more positively, when focused on God, than trying to be the person we think we ought to be and lying to others with the hopes of deceiving them.


"We can put our best foot forward...
but the rest of us may be decaying."
- Rev. Alex Large

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reminded me of a great quote from the book Eat, Pray, Love:

"It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection."

May we all live the live God has planned for us!!!

Hawley said...

Amen, April! :) Thanks for sharing!

Walker said...

really like the quote, but I am a bit disturbed by the picture...where did you find that? :)

Hawley said...

Walker,

Hahaha that's the result of rigorous google searching. I think blogs are much more enticing when they have ridiculous slash amazing photos and are kept brief.

Thanks for checkin' this out :)

Anonymous said...

i agree that photo creeps me out!

Gangstaa Ty said...

This is such and awesome quote! I think the really hard part is recognizing ways in which we are affected by the world and others' facades. Its difficult to weed through the lies the world tells to figure out how God intends us to live.