Thursday, April 2, 2009

FEBRILE

I love learning new words, and get frustrated when I don't know the definition to a word in a book I'm reading. Sometimes I'll even get a list going in the back of the book so that I can go and look them up later without ruining the "flow" of my reading. Usually I do that with Italian or French books, but sometimes with ordinary English ones too :)

The other day, in reading George Orwell's 1984 (as a result of a stranger on the bus telling me "You have to read it!"), I stumbled upon the word:

FEBRILE.

I hadn't heard it before. It is an adjective that, according to Merriam-Webster means:

"marked or caused by fever : feverish"

Perhaps one could say that I am a febrile reader?

haha... Maybe I should study for the GRE's. I just love words and language! :) Perhaps because I love to relate with people, but whatever the case, may you add another to vocabulary today (or be reminded of how smart and well-learned you are if you already knew it).

No comments: