
The first lady whose feet I washed had lovely shimmery red nail polish, and well cared for feet. I whispered to her that I "liked her toes" trying to be brief but meaning the nail polish. I felt awkward at her response. She said "Thanks! I had them done for tonight."
It made me realize how insecure we all are... That we want to be known for our best elements, to be seen as the best of who we are, not for our worst. Yet, there weren't nail salons in Jesus' day. The people whose feet He washed were disgusting, dirty, sweaty, and smelly. They couldn't have prepared beforehand, to be sure and have nice clean feet to be "washed" by Jesus. Yet, even having had a pedicure a month or two beforehand, I felt a bit embarrassed having my feet washed because my toe nail polish was messed up and my feet were not in great condition. I'd been walking around all day and wearing what became kind of gross socks.
Yet, I had my feet washed too. And no one (so far anyways!) has told me of terrible things that came of my dirty, unattractive feet.
I think sometimes - well, who I am kidding... probably always - we're afraid to show that "bad part" of ourselves and live in a shame, to varying degrees, for not being who we think we ought to be. And what's worse, is rather than accepting forgiveness or being willing to "be washed", we opt to betray God or think that betrayal is what we are due. No, no, no. God wants to wash us clean - clean not just of dirt, but of shame.

At the end of the service, we prayed the following prayer:
"Almighty God, we pray you graciously to behold this your family, for whom our Lord Jesus Christ was willing to be betrayed, and given into the hands of sinners, and to suffer death upon the cross; who lives and reigns for ever and ever. Amen."
The portion that particularly struck me was the line that I bolded. My mother-in-law was visiting and therefore attending the service with my husband, as well as my own mother. Somehow they ended up in the other line to have their feet washed, but I thought of them as I washed the feet of parishioners of our church. I felt surprisingly joyful once I began to do this, though I was rather anxious at first not knowing which towel was for which purpose, or how much water to put on them... how or where to hold the feet, how to know when I was "done".
And I began to think of the power of doing this. Of being on my knees, of physically serving, of being "lesser than"... and how supremely joyful I felt, somewhat to my surprise. I looked up and caught my husband's eye, and then smiled at him and my mother-in-law. They are now my family. My husband and I have formed our own chosen family and remain intrinsicly connected to the families in which we were raised - not by choice but by divine determination. And this, the literal family both chosen and not chosen, the family of the parish of my church - people whom I may know well, may like or dislike, or may not even know...
This is the family for whom our Lord Jesus Christ was willing to be betrayed.
He chose to be betrayed, and despite it all, He loved us.
Therefore, who am I to hold things against another? Perhaps I ought to stick to washing feet instead.
3 comments:
Great post, Hawley! I had my feet washed while serving as an altar boy in Buffalo years and years ago. I remember the altar boy sitting next to me must have had brand new socks on -- because when he flung his socks off the biggest piece of sock lint I've ever seen dropped into the priest's foot washing bowl. The priest looked at him, held back a quip and happily washed away.
Anyway, we should all be happy to wash each other's feet. It's the least we can do ...
mbh! -what a wonderful read this is!
beautiful experience for everyone who attended; and those of us who read about those of you who attended
i am grateful for many, many gifts from God
many freedoms. freedom from addictions, obsessions, insecurities, fears, shame.. the list is long
and one of the many freedoms i enjoy is captured in this post
i know i am not my physical appearance.. my make-up, clothes, painted toes/nails, car i drive or house i live in, etc.
i am free from worrying about what other people think of me
this one takes longer for women than men in our society i think, because great non-stop emphasis is put on our physical appearance
this is not say i don't make effort to take care of myself.. dress appropriately/respectfully for given occasions
but my self-confidence, self-assuredness does not alter whether i'm made-up pretty, or stripped of every cosmetic
it is liberating beyond belief!
and i'm also free of what others think about my position..
to wash the feet of another, to clean waste left behind, to serve in any capacity
my self-confidence, self-assuredness does not alter
whether i'm cashiering for minimum wage, cleaning spills from thankful and/or thankless customers
or earning higher wages in a position more highly regarded by society at large
i know i am not my job.. i am not my looks.. i am not what others think of me
my value as a human being does not depend on any external factor
i can't thank God enough for this peace, confidence, liberation
it's taken many years -years!- and is still in progress,
but "wow!"
i love how you pointed out that back in Jesus's day.. they did not have pedicure/manicures
the point is not, "here, come wash the clean, recently pedicured, perfect, beautiful feet of healthy, young, vibrant people with healthy young, pretty looking and pretty smelling feet" is it.
the point is: service; expressions of unconditional love and compassion for a fellow human being
emphasis on unconditional (non-judgemental) and fellow human being
that said..
it is 2009, in the united states of america
and while we should not attach our esteem to having pretty painted toenails
there is beauty in that sentiment too..
potential beauty, love, compassion
if when the person who is making sure their feet are clean and pretty before someone else washes them
is taking care in that way, for the sake/benefit of the person who is doing the washing
that is thoughtful
that is a gesture of equal compassion
but if the pretty toenails are self-serving; coming from a place of insecurity and/or vanity "look at my pretty painted toes -aren't i the cat's meow"
or if the absence of pretty painted toenails causes any insecurity -self doubt/criticism
any "lacking" feeling at all
then.. we have more work to do.
caring about others -not just in word, but deed
serving others. connecting with others
this is expressed beautifully here in your post
"to washing feet, cleansing souls!" ~amen!
love, ~s.
Charles! Your story of the sock lint cracks me up. What a great visual. Thanks for reading & sharing :)
S.Kay, ttgp! Thanks for reading, too :) I can always count on you to not just digest a thought but progress it and take it further. I love what you had to say, about freedoms and insecurities and particularly this truth:
"i know i am not my job.. i am not my looks.. i am not what others think of me"
Despite what society says, our identities are quite malleable, aren't they? They waver and evolve more than we think, and are rooted deeper within than outside.
Indeed! To washing feet and cleansing souls :) Thanks!
Post a Comment